Monday, June 8, 2009

Cats and nomadic aspirations

I love him but he gets in my way. Both literally, of course, and figuratively. I'm speaking of Jonesy, my cat.

I wish to be nomadic for a while, no set home just traveling at will, couchsurfing, hosteling, camping, etc as I see the US and maybe more of the world. I've loved the short tastes I've gotten of this, such as when backpacking Europe, and want to jump into it as a lifestyle for at least a few months or year... whatever, until I decide to stop.

But there's Jonesy... my loveable little fluffbutt. He's so affectionate and I don't know what to do with him. I can't leave him at my mom's: they not only don't want to watch my cat but also their pets are indoor-outdoor pets because they live far in the country. Jonesy can't be allowed to do that as he's never learned about the outdoors, being purely indoor raised for 12 year almost.

So, I may be in the weird position of renting a small apartment for my cat. Not being truly nomadic, because I don't want him to be lonely, but rather havinga very cheap, small place for him and a minimum of my stuff and putting all my free cash into traveling out of this home-base.

But where for the apartment? Dallas is ideal, except the costs. Copperas Cove where Chael lives has some very cheap and perfect apartments, but it is out in the middle of nowhere and I'd have to take Jonesy away from his regular vet -who is also who I board him with when I'm gone more than a couple-three days, so that instills fresh complications.

I love him so much, I have to do what is best for him in this goal. I won't change thigns in such a way as to risk his health and happiness. I believe in pets as friends and that we've a responsibility to any we take on; he's better than family, he's chosen.

So I may be getting a Dallas apartment for my cat. I'll just try and find a small, cheap but clean one and downsize my home. That'll keep my social contacts here possible, too, hopefully.

But I'm really interested in traveling some more again, seeing new things again, exploring my world again!

No comments: