Friday, August 29, 2008

Europe, Germany

I can't say how very much I hope we get orders back to Germany. I loved it there.

Germany itself, its landscapes, its language, its culture, its cities and tiny towns.

But also, as a gateway to the rest of Europe. I've spent a few days to a few weeks in most of the western Europeans countries and there are more I need to see and more of the one's I've been to that I need to explore... or just revisit favorite places!

And I love riding trains. That's so silly sounding, but it's true. You can't do that here and I fell in love with it the first time I used one.

Sure, people will say, "but what about Amtrak?". Yes, we have a train "system" here in the US... but honestly, Amtrak is an ass-difficult, limited and over-priced "system" (I hesitate to call anything that hard to get around on a system in any seriousness). Amtrak is a joke comparatively, and annoying even with no comparison made.

Speaking of, I've heard some vagueness about a possible move towards government subsidization of a better/full train system here in the US...? I'll do some googling and see what is up there, later. For now, I can just say I hope it is so, both for the convenience and environmental angles. In the short-term it would be quite a lot of money, effort and confusion, but in the long-term it would change the US greatly and, I think, show itself worth the stress of implementation.

Anyhow, I'm rambling.

Short is that we're in our window for PCS orders. We may end up getting "moved" to right here and nothing changes for years, we may end up moved almost anywhere. Branch has expressed themselves to seem willing to work with us in trying to find an agreeable assignment... we'll see. Needs of the Army always come first.

I've no idea whether I'll be here or the other side of the world in 6 months. I've my preferred places, but really I'm now just at the point where I'd like to know so I can plan my life some.

No comments: